Wednesday, June 10, 2009

ANOTHER STUPID BOB TRICK

Decided to go through Yosemite and head south on US-395 to Bishop. Winding road heading up and over the pass.
Got through it without dropping the bike and found a view turnout a few miles down the road.
Decided to break out the lunch. Having lunch with views like these ain't, or should I say isn't too shabby.

As I'm walking back to the bike, I notice what looks to me like a white stripe on my rear tire. Can't think of what I went through to cause this. Upon closer inspection, I find the tire tread is worn away and the white is actually tire cords showing. HOLY CRAP!!!
I'm in the mountains miles from any town on a tire like this. Oh mama, what the hell am I going to do now? This means going back through the pass on a really crooked road. Bummer!
As luck would have it, I flagged down a couple of bikers who know the area, and they gave me directions to Sonora. Told me there was a Yamaha bike shop in town and if they had the correct tire, they would change it for me right away. Now the dilemma. Do I travel fast knowing I could have a blowout at any time in order to get to the shop before it closes, or do I go slow which would be better for me control the bike in the event of a blowout and get there after it closes. Always one for doing the right thing in the safest way possible, I went fast. Got to Sonora, larger place than I thought it would be, found the shop and as luck would have it, they had a tire. They got right on it and had it changed within an hour. The mechanic said he had never seen a tire so worn and said I should look at the tires once in a while. I told him that I did look at the rear tire about 20k miles ago and it seemed fine then. Well, duh!
Got to put in a plug for Gold Rush Motorsports in Sonora and Lawrence Rangel who went out of his way to provide me with great service. Everyone I talked to who worked there was cordial, friendly and courteous. I was impressed. For those in need of help, this is the place for it. Just make sure you're not on a "Harley."

1 comment:

Family said...

One of these days I am going to read about you on a website...Darwin's