Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dakota's

Woke up this morning and the wind was still blowing like hell. Crap! Now what? Headed north and traveled with the wind. Half way to Fargo, I decided to head west and fight the wind for a while which was constant and moving pretty fast.
I'm told by one of the locals that wind blows through the area most of the time, but not usually like the last two days. He said it must be a bitch riding in a cross wind. I said, "No shit, Dick Tracy." He said, "Who's Dick Tracy?" Geez, young people don't know crap!
The contour of the land is less flat and wind barriers along the way helped somewhat, so it wasn't as bad as yesterday. I needed to travel 75 miles west before I could head north again all the while thinking the ride will be better when I turn to the north. Half way, almost immediately, the wind shifted from the south to blowin' from the northwest and the temperature dropped about ten degrees. What the hell just happened? Now I'm fighting a head wind the rest of the way to Jamestown. Then the low fuel light comes on and I remember the bike gets 20% less miles per gallon in a headwind. Next service station?........Jamestown, of course. C'mon Mr. Kawasaki, you can make it. MADE IT and filled the five gallon tank with 4.7 gallons of fuel. Life's good!
Always one to know a bargain, I got a great rate at Motel OpenAir.


No comments: