Friday, April 4, 2008

AIRLINE FALLOUT

Woke up yesterday to the news of ATA going "belly-up" effective immediately. This just a few days after Aloha Airlines shut down operations. I was booked on ATA for my May-July trip, so I spent the better part of the morning trying to rebook my flight with another carrier.

Knew I was in trouble when United Air displayed a round trip price of $1472.



Finally found a fare for $696 (original ATA fare $518.) on US AIR. CRAP! More of the kids' inheritance down the drain. On a positive note, at least this didn't happen on the day I was to have started my trip. Today, less than 24 hours later, the same itinerary for the same airline is now showing a fare of $929. WTF!? The price of paradise is getting ridiculous.

Time to leave?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends of mine were booked round trip on Aloha. Got over to HI just fine. Comes time to come home and no plane. Bummer. They are too old to swim. What did Aloha to to help those situations? Do you know?
Lonnie

Anonymous said...

Reply:
I think those immediately affected were able to gain standby seats on Hawaiian Air and United. At what additional cost, I don't know.

Unfortunately for Aloha Air, what goes around, comes around. In the past, when other low cost carriers entered the Hawaii market, they were driven out by Hawaiian and Aloha's deep pockets. Mesa's go! airlines with deeper pockets along with fuel prices and Aloha's shortcomings resulted in this airlines demise. Aloha's employees have been hurt and this will have a negative ripple effect on Hawaii's economy.